Prinkipos Global Center for Environment and Interfaith Dialogue

Prinkipos Global Center for Environment and Interfaith Dialogue

Originally known as the Prinkipos Island Orphanage Building, this impressive building sits on the second highest point of Turkish Buyukada Island in the Marmara Sea. Built in 1898, it is Europe’s largest wooden structure. After work is complete, the Center will find new purpose linking faith communities with critical societal issues of our time, namely, environmental sustainability and inter-religious understanding.

The Center will advance the vision and leadership of His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew in the inspirational and pioneering work of the Religion, Science, and Environment (RSE) Committee and its international, interdisciplinary and inter-religious symposium, especially in its focus and efforts on the concept of water. The location and setting of the Center will enable it to be a place of solitude and scholarship, attracting leaders of the intellectual and scientific fields from across faiths and cultures with a focus on environmental sustainability and interfaith tolerance.