Dairy Building was completed in 1869 and was co-designed by Calvert Vaux,
with Frederick Law Olmsted and Jacob Wrey Mould for New
York's Central Park. Located in the heart of Central Park, its original purpose was to provide city
children with fresh milk and other refreshments.
Today, it functions as Central Park's information center and retail shop.
The entire interior has been completely restored to its original
design, with a new electrical installation and new lighting. A comprehensive
book and gift shop has been installed with historically compatible
custom-built case work. Standing once again as focal point of the lower park, the Dairy heralds
Central Park's renaissance in the spirit of Olmsted's original plan. The project was ompleted in 2003 for the Central Park Conservancy.